Detailed directions of activities of the department
The most important scientific and applied results in the field of heat transfer and fluid dynamics of flows in the fields of centrifugal forces are given below.
- Internal swirled and vortex flows. An extensive database of new scientific data on turbulent heat transfer and fluid dynamics of swirled flows in pipes, diffusers, confusors, porous tubes and supersonic nozzles; an extensive database of new scientific data on fluid dynamics, heat and mass transfer of gas-liquid swirled flows in vortex chambers; new scientific data on the three-dimensional structure of the turbulent boundary layer; conditions of physical similarity and universal connection between local and integral similarity parameters; features and boundaries of the laminar-turbulent transition; “suppression” of turbulence by centrifugal forces and “reverse” turbulent-laminar transition; regularities of transition of the swirled flow in the axial one; universal connection between the axial and rotational speed; generalized law of heat transfer in pipes under various boundary conditions; generalization of the asymptotic Kutateladze-Leont’ev’s theory for swirled flows; Gertler’s centrifugal instability in pipes with a rotation of the flow; an analogy between heat transfer in pipes with rotation of the flow and when flowing over a concave surface; heat transfer law near the lateral surface of the vortex chamber for three-dimensional developing and developed flow regimes; new methods of calculation and techniques of designing cooling systems.
- Surface-vortex systems (dimples). An extensive base of new scientific data on the non-stationary vortex structure and heat transfer in dimples of various shape and behind them; a diagram of flow regimes in dimples and a generalized diagram of the Reynolds analogy; boundaries of the laminar-turbulent transition behind dimples of various shape; the vortex structure of the flow in “narrow” channels with surface dimpes and the conditions of “advancing” growth of heat transfer in comparison with the accompanying pressure losses; new heat transfer surfaces with surface dimples; transition to the “rolling friction” regime in a system of multi-row cylindrical dimples; a new parameter of thermal hydraulic efficiency with the possibility of ranking all methods of heat transfer enhancement; new methods of calculation and design techniques of cooling systems and heat exchangers.
- Rotating channels and surfaces. An extensive base of new data on heat transfer and fluid dynamics in rotating channels and near rotating surfaces; base of new scientific data on heat transfer and flow structure in rotating channels of cooling systems of gas turbine blades with micro-fins of a complex configuration on the inner surface; base of new scientific data on the fluid dynamics of a two-phase flow (gas-solid particles) for a porous rotating pipe; base of new scientific data on heat transfer in a radial rotating pipe with a rotation of the flow and the predominant influence of the Coriolis force or centrifugal force; heat transfer law for a rotating disk in an open space under laminar and turbulent conditions with an arbitrary surface temperature distribution; heat transfer and flow structure near a rotating disc with a “twist” of the flow near the axis of rotation and the theoretical foundations of a rotating (“vortex”) diffuser; refined diagrams of flow regimes in pipes rotating around their own axis, parallel or inclined axis; more accurate methods and techniques of calculating the elements of cooling systems.
- Flows near a convex and concave surface. A vast base of new scientific data on heat transfer and fluid dynamics near smooth and porous curved walls, including the influence of the pressure gradient and external turbulence; features of the physical structure of the boundary layer near the convex and concave surface and laminar-turbulent transition near the convex and concave wall; generalization of the asymptotic Kutateladze-Leont’ev’s theory for flows with longitudinal curvature of the surface; new data on film cooling of a convex surface, including the effect of pressure gradient and temperature factor; features of heat transfer and physical structure of a semi-bound jet near a convex and concave wall; adaptation and relaxation of the flow in the transition from a flat wall to a curved one, and vice versa; more accurate methods and techniques for calculating the elements of cooling systems.
- The centrifugal instability of Gertler and Taylor. An extensive base of new scientific data on heat transfer, surface friction and wave flow parameters near a concave surface under laminar and turbulent Gertler instability; equations for the critical Gertler’s number, including the influence of the longitudinal pressure gradient, external turbulence, blowing and suction through a concave porous wall; development of the theory of Taylor’s centrifugal instability near a porous rotating tube with surface suction of the flow and critical parameters; more accurate methods and techniques of calculating cooling systems.
- Nozzle apparatuses of gas turbines and curvilinear channels with a three-dimensional flow and local vortex structures. An extensive base of new scientific data on heat transfer and the three-dimensional structure of turbulent flows near the surfaces of the nozzle apparatus of highly loaded gas turbines and curvilinear channels of rectangular cross section; physical similarity conditions; concept, equations and recommendations on the design of convective and convective-film cooling systems of nozzle apparatus surfaces, taking into account the three-dimensional boundary layer, external turbulence, longitudinal and transverse pressure gradients, and the input uneven flow temperature.
- New vortex technologies of aerothermodynamics. New vortex aerothermodynamics technologies have been developed for power gas turbine construction and other applications that are protected by more than 230 author’s certificates and patents.